40mcube is an exhibition space for contemporary art, a studio for the production of works, a place for artists-in-residence program residencies, a professional-training organisation and an office for organisation of contemporary art projects. Since 2019, 40mcube is labelled Contemporary art centre of national interest by the franch ministry of Culture.
40mcube produces works, dffuses them in the form of exhibitions or interventions in the public space, sets up artists’ residencies, accompanies the commission of works, promotes and mediates them to the public.
40mcube occupies a building in Rennes with an exhibition space of 170m2, a production studio, offices and meeting rooms. In Liffré, near Rennes, 40mcube has created the Hub-Hug, a unique and experimental space of 200m2 dedicated to residencies for artists and curators, studios, workshops, and presentations of works that give rise to meetings with the public.
40mcube presents each year new exhibitions in Rennes. 40mcube also offers exhibitions in local, national and international partner venues: institutions, galleries, companies, communities, etc.
The production of works
40mcube accompanies artists at each stage of the realization of works of art and exhibitions: research, project writing, feasibility study, technical, administrative and financial follow-up, manufacture of works, quality control, installation, control of technical conformity, presentation and mediation to the public. 40mcube brings its technical and artistic expertise, its know-how, and coordinates the tailor-made realization of each project.
Besides the exhibitions in its premises and in partner places, 40mcube creates works intended to take place in the public space, allowing a simple, direct and convivial relationship between art, the city and the citizens.
40mcube welcomes artists in residence for a time of reflection, conception, realization of their project and production of their works. Professional workshops equipped with tools, machines and materials are at their disposal, ffering a suitable environment for creation. In addition to residencies in its premises in Rennes and Liffré, 40mcube implements artists residencies in companies, on the brittany territory and in schools.
A sculpture park
On the vast natural area surrounding the HubHug in Liffré, 40mcube has set up the HubHug Sculpture Project, a evolving sculpture park that presents works directly on the ground and on the Rack, a sculpture display furniture specially designed for this purpose. This sculpture park is freely accessible 7 days a week and 24 hours a day.
Commissioning of works or exhibition, advice to build a collection or set up a residence, acquisition of a work, professional training, privatization of spaces… 40mcube ffers everyone, communities, companies, public or private institutions, persons exercising a liberal profession, different frameworks of collaboration with artists who adapt to the expectations of each.
40mcube accompanies groups of people – associations, companies, communities, individuals – who wish to order a work of art from an artist. 40mcube ensures the coordination of the various stages of the order, contributes to the drafting of speci cations, proposes an artist, participates in the search for nancing, ensures the manufacture and the installation of the work. In addition, 40mcube is Eternal Network’s executive producer for the implementation of the Fondation de France’s New Patrons program in Ille-et-Vilaine. This allows citizens confronted with social or territorial development issues to associate contemporary artists with their concerns through a commission. Its originality is based on a new conjunc- tion between three privileged actors: the artist, the citizen-client and the cultural mediator, accompanied by the public and private partners gathered around the project.
In partnership with the Archives de la critique d’art and the Archives départementales d’Ille-et-Vilaine, 40mcube is developing Inventaire, a project that makes the archives of projects
completed since 2001 accessible to all. The hidden side of the exhibitions and the way they are organized are thus made visible.
In partnership with the École européenne supérieure d’art de Bretagne and the company Self Signal, 40mcube has set up GENERATOR, a professional training course for young artists and exhibition curators. In order to bridge the gap between initial training and professionalization, this scheme offers artists, over a period of seven continuous months, training to develop their work, produce works and build a professional network. The curators, in residence for one month, meet the artists of the programme and strengthen their network by discovering the artistic scene in Brittany.
Publics – educational program
Each project developed by 40mcube is accompanied by the implementation of mediation actions that allow all audiences to be accompanied in the discovery of contemporary creation.
40mcube offers a mediation o er adapted to individuals or groups – whether they are amateurs or neophytes – to school groups (from kindergarten to universities), leisure centres, students, the elderly, people with disabilities, works councils, etc..
40mcube offers guided tours, descriptive and tactile tours, artists’ workshops in schools, workshops to discover exhibitions, and creates privileged conditions to discover the art of our time.
40mcube is member of a.c.b, contemporary art in britanny, Arts en résidences – national network, BLA! – national association of the people in charge of the education for contemporay art, and of the britanny ressources hub for artistic and cultural education.
Anne Langlois, co-director, curator of the exhibition
Patrice Goasduff, co-irector, production manager, in charge of the commission
Cyrille Guitard, direction assistant, in charge of the educational program, the communication, and the press relations
Marion Resemann, in charge of the continuing professional development program for artists and of the GENERATOR program
Romane Robert, civic service
Members of the board : Émilie Renard (president), Yann Sérandour (secretary), Blandine Valais (treasurer), Peggy Diverres, Dominique Caumes
Graphic design: Richard Guilbert
Correcteur : Brice Coladon
Translation : Selma Dufeutrelle, Cyrille Guitard, Hayley Moore, Cassandre Lefèvre, Seth Cauman, Elizabeth Bowers, David Mickael Clarke
1. 40mcube – centre of national interest for contemporary art. Photo : Margot Montigny
2. Florian & Michael Quistrebert, Champagne Supernova, 2020, ink on burlap, 150 × 200 cm. Produced by 40mcube. Photo: Margot Montigny. Courtesy Crèvecoeur (Paris).
3. Hélène Bertin, Éléonore False, Ingrid Luche, Bertfalhe, 2019, exhibition view. Curated by 40mcube. Produced by 40mcube / Cnap. Photo: Margot Montigny.
4. Emmanuelle Lainé, INGENIUM, 2010, vue de l’exposition. Curated by 40mcube. Produced by 40mcube, with the support of Art Norac, on the occasion of the Ateliers de Rennes – contemporary art biennale. Courtesy galerie Triple V. Photo: André Morin.
5. Oscar Murillo, An Average Work Rate with a Failed Goal, 2014, exhibition view. Curated and produced by 40mcube, with the support of Art Norac, on the occasion of the Ateliers de Rennes – contemporary art biennale. Courtesy David Zwirner and Carlos/Ishikawa. Photo: André Morin.
6. Alan Fertil & Damien Teixidor, Arcane Vanilla, 2014, view of the exhibition. Curated and produced by: 40mcube. Photo : André Morin.
7. Archeologia, 2013, exhibition view at 40mcube. (Foreground) Christophe Sarlin, Time Series, 2013. Produced by 40mcube. Benoît Maire, i.e. 1, 2013, video on computer, 15’40”. Produced with the support of the FNAGP. Courtesy of the artist and Cortex Athletico gallery. (Background) Daphné Navarre, Red Hill, 2013, cotton canvas, plywood, aluminium scotch tape, spray paint, nails. Produced by 40mcube. Photo: André Morin.
8. Le Rack, Étienne Bossut, John Cornu, Laurence De Leersnyder, Rémi Duprat, Aurélie Ferruel & Florentine Guédon, Hilary Galbreaith, Camille Girard & Paul Brunet, Laurent Le Deunff, Briac Leprêtre, Samir Mougas, We Are the Painters. Curated and produced by 40mcube. Photo: Patrice Goasduff.
9. Lang/Baumann, Street Painting #7, 2013, road painting, 59 × 3,7 m. Produced by40mcube / PHAKT, in partnership with Signature and Identic and with the support of the city of Rennes and Pro Helvetia, Swiss Foundation for culture. Courtesy Loevenbruck gallery and Urs Meile gallery. Photo: L/B.
10. Lara Almarcegui, Matériaux de construction, Campus de Beaulieu, Rennes, 2014, paint, 508 x 395 cm. Work realized as pas of the New patrons action initiated by the Fondation de France. Mediation-production : 40mcube / Eternal Network. Photo: André Morin.
11. Lang/Baumann, Beautiful Curtain #3, 2019, printing on fabric, 3400 × 290 cm. Mediation-production: 40mcube and Eternal Network. This work is part of the New patrons action of the Fondation de France. Photo: Patrice Goasduff.
12. Benoît-Marie Moriceau, Psycho, 2007, mat acrylic paint. Produced by 40mcube. Photo: Hervé Beurel.
13. Vincent Mauger, Présence Stratégique, 2014, Ø 450 cm, plastic cases, camouflage fabrics. Produced by Les Champs Libres and 40mcube. Curated by 40mcube. Photo: André Morin.