Certified Centre of national importance for contemporary art by the Ministry of Culture, 40mcube houses an exhibition space, a production workshop, a residency for artists and curators, a training centre and the Brittany office of the New patrons Society.
40mcube produces works, dffuses them in the form of exhibitions or interventions in the public space, sets up artists’ residencies, accompanies the commission of works, promotes and mediates them to the public.
40mcube occupies a building in Rennes with an exhibition space of 170 m2, a production studio, offices and meeting rooms. In Liffré, near Rennes, 40mcube has created the Hub-Hug, a unique and experimental space of 200 m2 dedicated to residencies for artists and curators, studios, workshops, and presentations of works that give rise to meetings with the public.
40mcube presents each year new exhibitions in Rennes. 40mcube also offers exhibitions in local, national and international partner venues: institutions, galleries, companies, communities, etc.
The production of works
40mcube accompanies artists at each stage of the realization of works of art and exhibitions: research, project writing, feasibility study, technical, administrative and financial follow-up, manufacture of works, quality control, installation, control of technical conformity, presentation and mediation to the public. 40mcube brings its technical and artistic expertise, its know-how, and coordinates the realization of each project.
40mcube welcomes artists in residence for a time of reflection, conception, realization of their project and production of their works. Professional workshops equipped with tools, machines and materials are at their disposal, offering a suitable environment for creation. In addition to residencies in its premises in Rennes and Liffré, 40mcube implements artists residencies in companies, on the brittany territory and in schools.
Besides the exhibitions in its premises and in partner places, 40mcube creates works intended to take place in the public space, allowing a simple, direct and convivial relationship between art, the city and the citizens.
The New Patrons commissions
40mcube is a member of the New Patrons Society and is the regional office in Brittany for the New Patrons initiative. Initiated in the early 1990s by the Fondation de France, the New Patrons program gives citizens confronted with social issues the opportunity to involve artists in their concerns by commissioning a work of art that responds to their specific context. The New Patrons program is now developped by the New Patrons Society, with the support of the french Ministry of Culture. Its originality is based on a combination of three actors: patrons, from all origins, alone or in groups; a mediator who helps them define the commission and write the specifications, suggests an artist, and supervises the production of the work; the artist who proposes a form for the commission.
Commissioning of works or exhibition, advice to build a collection or set up a residence, acquisition of a work, privatization of spaces… 40mcube offers everyone, such as communities, companies, public or private institutions, persons exercising a liberal profession, different frameworks of collaboration with artists that adapt to their expectations.
In partnership with the Archives de la critique d’art and the Archives départementales d’Ille-et-Vilaine, 40mcube is developing Inventaire, a project that makes the archives of projects completed since 2001 accessible to all. The hidden side of the exhibitions and the way they are organized are thus made visible.
Involved in the development of the visual arts sector, 40mcube offers long and short professional training courses for artists, as well as a digital training platform.
In partnership with the company Self Signal, 40mcube has set up GENERATOR, a professional training program for young artists and curators. Aiming at filling the gap between initial training and professionalization, this program offers artists a seven-month training course enabling them to develop their work, produce new works, create a professional network and acquire best practices (administrative, legal, social, etc.). The curators, in residence for a month, meet the artists of the program and develop their network by discovering the artistic scene in Brittany.
The art center also offers short professional training courses covering legal, economic and social aspects of the activity of visuals artists.
Finally, with artist for ever, a digital training platform, 40mcube offers a new experience in knowledge transmission adapted to today’s artists’ lifestyles. From a smartphone, computer or tablet, anyone can connect to the platform, at any time, wherever they are in France or in French overseas departments and regions.
Designed for artists and with artists, the training courses developed on the artist for ever platform are based on the experience of working professionals.
artist for ever also provides free access to numerous video interviews, enabling artists to hear what their peers and future professional partners have to say.
The training courses offered by 40mcube are certified to Qualiopi quality standards.
Publics – educational program
Each project developed by 40mcube is accompanied by the implementation of mediation actions that allow all audiences to be accompanied in the discovery of contemporary creation.
40mcube creates a mediation offer adapted to individuals or groups – whether they are amateurs or neophytes – to school groups (from kindergarten to universities), leisure centres, students, the elderly, people with disabilities, works councils, etc.
40mcube offers guided tours, descriptive and tactile tours, artists’ workshops in schools, workshops to discover exhibitions, and creates privileged conditions to discover the art of our time.
Anne Langlois, co-director, curator of the exhibition
Patrice Goasduff, co-director, production manager
Marion Resemann, in charge of the continuing professional development programs
Cyrille Guitard, in charge of the educational program, the communication, and the press relations
Pauline Simon, in charge of the administration
Alicia Le Bozec, assistant for artist for ever digital learning platform
Coline Dupont, in charge of the program GENERATOR
Elsa Gervais, Hugo Houssin, voluntary community service
Members of the board : Émilie Renard (president), Yann Sérandour (secretary), Blandine Valais (treasurer), Peggy Diverres, Emeline Jaret
Graphic design: Richard Guilbert
Correcteur : Brice Coladon
Translation : Selma Dufeutrelle, Cyrille Guitard, Hayley Moore, Cassandre Lefèvre, Seth Cauman, Elizabeth Bowers, David Mickael Clarke
40mcube is supported by the French Ministry of Culture – Drac Bretagne, the Regional Council of Brittany, the Departmental Council of Ille-et-Vilaine, Rennes Métrpole, the city of Rennes, the city of Liffré.
With the corporate sponsorship of Art Norac – non-for-profit organization of the Norac group for the sponsorship in contemporary art, of Rousseau Clôtures.
With the partnership of Avoxa, Self Signal, Line Up Architecture, Anthracite Architecture 2.0, Icodia, 02 magazine, Sennelier.
40mcube is a partner of the Marque Bretagne.
40mcube is member the networks a.c.b – contemporary art in Brittany, DCA – French national network of contemporary art centres, Arts en résidence – national network, BLA! – national non-for-profit organization for professionals in charge of the educational programming, of the New Patrons Society, and of the contemporary art ressources hub for the cultural and artistic education in Brittany.
1. 40mcube – centre of national interest for contemporary art. Photo : Margot Montigny
2. Florian & Michael Quistrebert, Champagne Supernova, 2020, ink on burlap, 150 × 200 cm. Produced by 40mcube. Photo: Margot Montigny. Courtesy Crèvecoeur (Paris).
3. Hélène Bertin, Éléonore False, Ingrid Luche, Bertfalhe, 2019, exhibition view. Curated by 40mcube. Produced by 40mcube / Cnap. Photo: Margot Montigny.
4. Emmanuelle Lainé, INGENIUM, 2010, vue de l’exposition. Curated by 40mcube. Produced by 40mcube, with the support of Art Norac, on the occasion of the Ateliers de Rennes – contemporary art biennale. Courtesy galerie Triple V. Photo: André Morin.
5. Oscar Murillo, An Average Work Rate with a Failed Goal, 2014, exhibition view. Curated and produced by 40mcube, with the support of Art Norac, on the occasion of the Ateliers de Rennes – contemporary art biennale. Courtesy David Zwirner and Carlos/Ishikawa. Photo: André Morin.
6. Alan Fertil & Damien Teixidor, Arcane Vanilla, 2014, view of the exhibition. Curated and produced by: 40mcube. Photo : André Morin.
7. Archeologia, 2013, exhibition view at 40mcube. (Foreground) Christophe Sarlin, Time Series, 2013. Produced by 40mcube. Benoît Maire, i.e. 1, 2013, video on computer, 15’40”. Produced with the support of the FNAGP. Courtesy of the artist and Cortex Athletico gallery. (Background) Daphné Navarre, Red Hill, 2013, cotton canvas, plywood, aluminium scotch tape, spray paint, nails. Produced by 40mcube. Photo: André Morin.
8. Le Rack, Étienne Bossut, John Cornu, Laurence De Leersnyder, Rémi Duprat, Aurélie Ferruel & Florentine Guédon, Hilary Galbreaith, Camille Girard & Paul Brunet, Laurent Le Deunff, Briac Leprêtre, Samir Mougas, We Are the Painters. Curated and produced by 40mcube. Photo: Patrice Goasduff.
9. Lang/Baumann, Street Painting #7, 2013, road painting, 59 × 3,7 m. Produced by40mcube / PHAKT, in partnership with Signature and Identic and with the support of the city of Rennes and Pro Helvetia, Swiss Foundation for culture. Courtesy Loevenbruck gallery and Urs Meile gallery. Photo: L/B.
10. Lara Almarcegui, Matériaux de construction, Campus de Beaulieu, Rennes, 2014, paint, 508 x 395 cm. Work realized as pas of the New patrons action initiated by the Fondation de France. Mediation-production : 40mcube / Eternal Network. Photo: André Morin.
11. Lang/Baumann, Beautiful Curtain #3, 2019, printing on fabric, 3400 × 290 cm. Mediation-production: 40mcube and Eternal Network. This work is part of the New patrons action of the Fondation de France. Photo: Patrice Goasduff.
12. Benoît-Marie Moriceau, Psycho, 2007, mat acrylic paint. Produced by 40mcube. Photo: Hervé Beurel.
13. Vincent Mauger, Présence Stratégique, 2014, Ø 450 cm, plastic cases, camouflage fabrics. Produced by Les Champs Libres and 40mcube. Curated by 40mcube. Photo: André Morin.